Gulf Coast Dietetic Internship Orientation

Happy Tuesday! I just got back from Biloxi Mississippi where I was at my internship orientation.

What does it take to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)?
Well, you must at least have a Bachelor's Degree in Dietetics, or a Master's Degree. Starting in the year 2024, a Master's Degree is a must!
*You have to get accepted into an internship program, and have 1240 hours of supervised practice to complete an internship.
*Once you complete 1240 hours, you take the state test to become licensed.

Whew! In a nutshell, a whole lot of work.  A lot more than researching on google. A lot more than slapping nutrition at the end of your Instagram name and calling yourself a nutrition expert. We spend many hours, a lot of tears and time working hard to become RDN's.

My orientation went great and I'm very excited to start.  I am doing a distance internship, which means I got accepted into an internship elsewhere, and had to find my preceptors here in Michigan/Ohio.  I need to complete 11 weeks in a clinical setting, 8 weeks in food service, 7 weeks in a community setting (WIC for example), and I get to choose a 4 week elective, where I will be working with a corporate wellness program.

It's also a whole. lot. of. math. 

We are highly trained in different formulas to use.  Whether it is to calculate someone's everyday energy needs, Enteral Nutrition or TPN (These are used in hospital settings). We spent a lot of time in my orientation going over these because they are so important.  Math has never been my strong subject, however when it comes to food- it makes more sense to me. (lol)

Nutrition is more than macronutrients.  It is very complex, and there is more to it than what people on social media show.  Before you decide to start a "diet" or cut something out of your diet, speak with a dietitian for a professional opinion.  Not a social media influencer or google for that matter.

I start my first rotation on August 12th in the clinical setting and I'm so excited for the next step in my career!

For any questions or comments, please reach out at brittanydfowler@gmail.com or on social media:
Instagram: thewandering_foodie


xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts