Surviving the Winter with Health

Happy New Year!!!


Hope everyone is doing well, it's been awhile since I've written- it was crazy last semester. Anyway, it's Winter.. it's cold.. we all get unmotivated and what I call the "Winter Blahs".. 

How can this be prevented? Well... it's a mindset.. just like everything else.  Sometimes I lose motivation for everything in the winter because it's cold, I don't feel like leaving my warm, cozy house. So what do you do? You can't let yourself go- because in reality, summer is around the corner even though it does not feel like it! And you can't just ignore your health and fitness- that's not smart. So here are some things that I've come up with to help YOU fight the winter "funk" and continue your road to health!

1. Set fitness/health goals. 
- Write these down! You are more likely to follow something and stay motivated when you write it down and can see it. Stick a post it on your mirror or on your fridge. Remember why you started. 

2. Find recipes and find a way to make them healthier
- This is one of my FAVORITE things to do. I like to take a recipe and come up


with substitutions or different ways to cut "the bad guy" out. If it's high in sugar, I use stevia. If it's high in fat from ricotta cheese- I use Low Fat cottage cheese. There are so many things you can use to make recipes better for you.


3. Eat your fruits & veggies!
- Trust me, you will feel SO much better about yourself. You will have more energy, feel better about your mental and physical health and you're helping your waistline at the same time. Frozen vegetables are usually cheaper this time of year, they're fresh and have tons of nutrients. 

4. Take up a hobby
- I understand, going out into the cold is not my favorite thing to do- but, I do not want to sit inside all winter long. Find a bowling league, take a cooking class, window shop, plan a party, go to the gym, take up photography or just play in the snow! 

5. Stick to your plan
- How many times have you wanted to cancel plans with friends or family just because it's cold outside?... I have so many times, don't do it. Make yourself go and be social- don't be a hermit. It's good for your health to go out and socialize (as long as you aren't falling over drunk or eating fried foods in mass quantities) 

6. Sign up for an event
- Sign up for a 5K or marathon that is in a few months! It's a great time to use it for motivation to get into shape for spring. (I signed up to get married (lol) so that is my motivation this winter) I also have a few hiking trips in the spring/summer :) 

These are just a few helpful tips that I use for myself. It's definitely important to eat healthy foods, they can be a little more expensive right now, but you can always buy FROZEN VEGETABLES. They are so convenient, fresh and nutrient packed. You want to keep your body fueled in a good way. With working out and a nice, well-rounded diet- you will not stress when May comes and you have to wear a swimsuit. Maintain your progress and it won't be a hassle for you. 

What do you do to help yourself maintain a healthy lifestyle in the winter? :)

xox
B

Comments

Popular Posts