Stress, Weight Gain & Mental Health: How these three things go hand-in-hand

Stress, Mental Health & Weight Gain

We all tend to turn to our favorite comfort foods when we are stressed, but how is this affecting your overall health?.. Let me tell you why I find this so important- bare with me, this is important and you most likely will be able to relate.

I decided to write this blog because I wondered the affects myself. Recently, I went through a life-changing event of leaving an unhealthy relationship. This caused my stress level to sky rocket and to question myself, big time. I wondered if I was making the right decision, doing it at the right time with being in my dietetic internship, working part time while also trying to balance my health.
I still made it to the gym a few times per week, however I craved carbohydrates, sugar, alcohol.. Everything that I am knowledgeable about- I went against because I was in a fight-or-flight response. I figured this would only last a week or two because leaving the relationship was fresh, however then it became time for the holidays, I could not get away from the unhealthy relationship as it took over my mind, so I continued to eat way too many carbs which led to me gaining 15 pounds in only a few months. Now, I still did eat healthy meals during the day and would workout HARD when I did make it to the gym, so I wasn't gaining pure fat, however in a lot of cases this happens where it is all fat. I was able to recently pull myself out of it since things have settled down. However, this happens to a lot of people and we beat ourselves up over it. 

What is Stress? 

Stress is something that disrupts the body's homeostasis. Homeostasis is where the body is happy and comfortable, everything is flowing the way it should and the body is happy.
There are two different types of stress: Acute and Chronic.
Acute Stress will usually suppress appetite, this is usually stressing for a test, worrying, being nervous for an interview.
Chronic Stress will promote wanting, seeking and intake of high fat and energy dense foods. This is typically a long term stress, PTSD, a lifestyle change, chronic illnesses, etc. This is the type of stress that is related to weight gain. This is caused by many factors along with Hormones.

 So, stress influences eating behaviors and food choices. Why?... Hormones.

Hormones?

Cortisol is your "stress hormone", which is released in time of fear. It is a stimulator of appetite from overexposure to cortisol. Studies have reported a cross-sectional analysis of increased chronic psychosocial stress leads to increased food cravings and increased BMI. When you are under emotional distress, the intake increases of high fat and sugary foods which then lead to more cravings.

The body tends to metabolize slower under stress. Stress can cause: depression, HTN, heart disease, insomnia, obesity and anxiety. These things can lead to more chronic conditions down the road in life.

Short Term effects: Stress can shut down appetite. Epinephrine helps trigger fight-or-flight response and temporarily puts eating on hold. If stress continues: cortisol release increases motivation to eat and cortisol can remain elevated which leads to weight gain.


How to Reduce Stress?

1. Exercise: Exercising releases unwanted energy, it's recommended to exercise 3-4x per week for stress management

2. Choosing Healthy Foods: Choosing healthier options can be hard when you are going through something stressful. However, the healthier foods have the vitamins/minerals that can help to increase your mood.

3. Go outside: It's impossible to be in a bad mood when you are outside, go for a walk/run, do an outdoor activity, yes- it is also possible to do in the winter.

4. Yoga/Meditation: These help to calm the mind, body and soul

5. Spend time with friends and positive influences: This naturally uplifts you and takes your mind off of the stress you are having. Plan a trip, go out to dinner, be with those you love and who understand what you are going through!

6. Dancing: Let it out!!!

7. Get your sleep: Sleeping during this time is very important. Your mind is exhausted and needs time to rest and recover, do not be hard on yourself for this.

What I'm overall trying to say is, don't be so hard on yourself during this time.
Your body has a natural response to stress that mostly is out of your control.
The body knows what to do. It knows what you need, how to take care of you and those few extra pounds will come off. What's important is your mental health, you have to get your mind right to be in a good place physically as well, they work together.
Quit being so hard on yourself, life is a journey, we all have ups and downs..

You get ONE mind and ONE body- make sure they are taken care of. 




Sources:
1. Harvard Health
2. Obesity Society
3. Healthline
4. Medical News Today

















Comments

Popular Posts